Friday 27 October 2017

Kerala love jihad: I'm going to die get me out, victim Hadiya pleads in video

An activist released a video where Hadiya is heard speaking


 1507380910-1925
In a video, Kerala love jihad case woman Akhila Ashokan, or Hadiya is heard pleading an activist to "get her out" of confinement as she fears that her father might kill her. The video was released by activist Rahul Eashwar. Hadiya, the woman at the centre of a religious conversion row is currently staying with her parents after a Kerala High Court order.

"Get me out of here. Today or tomorrow, I am going to die. I am sure about this. My father is getting angry, I can make out. He pushes me, stamps at me," says the 24-year-old Hadiya in the video recorded in August, NDTV reported.

Eshwar's version

After meeting the woman and her family in August, Eashwar had released one video excerpt of his conversation earlier and released another part this week. "While I am a Hindu activist, I believe Hadiya's voice must also be heard", Eashwar told NDTV. He added that he would be handing over the entire footage to the court.

Father's version

"Nothing has happened to her so far... so there is no validity to her claims," the father told NDTV. "I don't have the time and need to see what Rahul Eashwar says," he added.

Activists' demand

Women's rights activists comprising academicians, authors, women's collectives and women's right advocates, have urged Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan as well as the State Commission for Women to extend state protection to Hadiya. The activists, including publisher Urvashi Butalia, DU professor Nandini Sundar, JNU professors Ayesha Kidwai and Nivedita Menon, and Suneeta Dhar among others, have sought that "Hadiya be brought under the protection of the state, perhaps in a shelter in consultation with her"......READ MORE




No comments:

14th BRICS summit to review current global issues, reach key agreements

  At the   14th BRICS summit   which is to be hosted by China in a virtual mode on 23-24 June, the member nations will review the current gl...